Sunday 29 November 2009

Wonderful Rainbow

It's the end of a decade and I am a definate youth of the "naughties".
NME were the first of the big music mags to bring out their list. It's full of cliches and an attempt at being alternative by picking mainstream artists rather than what people expect. Kind of sad they didnt think about what albums they really loved but what would be the reception to their list first and foremost.

But I've never really been into Albums that much. At the moment I'm really digging punk and mathrock, bands with very raw sounds who have to comprimise that to make a "headphone" album.

I guess that's why bands I really love have albums I feel two ways about. I'd rather listen to Foals grainy gang vocals and sloppy guitars on the 2006 demo than the over produced spacy couterparts on Antidotes most days.

Instead of choosing my favourite albums or the best albums, i just picked some fucking amazing ones that happened to come out in the last decade that you really should hear. When I sit down with the sole purpose of listening to music I like to put these on and just let them run. they aren't really exciting buzzbands but they're fucking interesting.

Anyway first album is

Lightning Bolt- Wonderful Rainbow (2003)


After saying all that I picked an album that's actually uncompromisingly raw, yet refined at the same time. This is probably the least accessible thing I'll post. If you haven't heard of LB before this is a damn good place to start.They have a fitting name because they kind of sound thunder, if thunder had an awesome prog rock and metal cd collection.

This is their second lp, and in my opinion their best. It's less jagged that their first attempt but still has so much energy, it's like being hit round the head with a pneumatic drill (in a really fucking good way).

At times they play noodly bits of guitar, spastic melodies jangling all over the place, then frenetically breaking out into all out noise assaults, all accompanied by the buzz of feedback and static. On Fire is one of the most mind blowing songs I've ever heard and 30,000 monkeys is similarly crazily brilliant. Like a super-band with Hella and Health covering Hendrix (accept if that were true they'd probably call themselves Triple H).

Click on the album name to listen

No comments:

Post a Comment