Wednesday 12 August 2009

Festivals: a look back

It's been a long, lazy summmer for me and i got thinking back to its beginnings: Back in june I went to glastonbury. At the time i was really underwhelmed and pretty miserable as it was (exams/losing my wallet/sun stroke had got me down) but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Thinking back to that muddy week two performances really stood out for me

Animal Collective's set (on the Park Stage) was probably some of the best, most brilliant atmospheric music I've ever heard live. Before seeing them I wasn't incredibly keen on more than a few recorded songs and thought they were another pitchfork hype band. Boy did the prove me wrong.
Heres a video of the fifth song they played, the single "Summertime Clothes". The video I wanted to show you was a brilliant live version of set closer "Brother Sport", however the recording is very illusive.

Entire set to download.

Bon Iver's set at glastonbury "on the Other Stage) was really special. I'd never really given their album "for emma, forever ago" a good listen as it is a thoroughly slow singer-songwriter afair which i normally put down as "not my thing". However live this music is a totally different afair, the heart wrenching songs about love and loss seemed to cut through me like a knife, and the beautifully layered acoustic/folky music created such an amazing atmosphere.
One song really stuck out though: their brilliant finisher "The Wolves (act 1 and 2)": Here's a video of it and watch it all the way through if you don't know the song, it starts slow and ends in some kind of crazed shouting session that leaves people in tears.

Entire set to download.

Along the same lines I remembered all the good bands I saw at Dot to Dot in Nottingham (indoor many venue festival) and of course truck festival and so looked for some videos. Although there were no real amazing heads and shoulders above standouts like at glasto heres a couple of my favourites.

Patrick Wolf puts on a really great show and didn't disappoint at dot to dot, heres him playing "the libertine". At the time i said about him: His stage presence was over powering. His theatrics entertaining. His music, the pinical of alt. pop brilliance. THis culminates in a near perfect show.


Pulled apart by horses at truck (in the barn) was mental. Here's there final song and stand out CHOON "i punched a lion in the throat", its totally bodacious:


Tubelord at truck in the barn, this is a really shit recording i found randomly during night of the pencils by some idiot who seems to video everything. O WELL enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment