Thursday 3 December 2009

Mirrored

Battles- Mirrored (2007)



This'll be the last album I post for a while. It's a cliche'd choice for this blog (which is named after the albums opening and closing tracks) but one of my favourite albums of all time. It takes a very engaging piece of music to hold your attention throughout an album without lyrics.

Battles are a band I feel are massively under rated, despite having quite a wide fan base, people tend to categorised them as either the experimental electronic-noise movement (like gang gang dance) or as really techy striped down mathrock. However the range of influences and directions this album takes is much wider, obviously there's a lot of sample use, loops and distortion from pedals its the hip hop rhythm parts, the funk like melodies, the intertwining influences clashing and yet seamlessly fitting into coherent songs.

My friend ash once described it as "textured music, it feels like you can walk in between every instrument, like you can touch them."They make music that's for me atleast, mind blowing. Its so beautiful, so perfect and yet so strange and unfamiliar at the same time. You can enjoy this album on a lot of levels I think that's why I like it so much. As always download it by clicking the title

3 comments:

  1. yeah really brilliant band. love atlas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've just posted my top albums of 2009. Come and tell me what I left out!

    http://hitsareforsquares.com/2009/12/23/the-hafs-top-20-albums-of-2009/

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is an brilliant, well-written article on an awesome band. kudos, man and totally agree with everything you're saying.

    ReplyDelete